Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017....

Restless...Unpredictable....Emotionally stretching....Exciting....These are just some of the words I would describe this past year. When I reflect on how this past year has shaped me, I can identify two main areas: patience, and identity. This has mainly been evident in my interaction with my co-workers and my general search for deeper meaning in my life. I suppose you could call it something of a quarter life crisis, if there even is something identifiable like that. I leave this year feeling a sense of regret, not so much for the things I did do, but rather for the opportunities I missed. These opportunities came more so in the form of situational choices, not so much major life decisions. For example, often I would avoid a situation if I knew a certain person would be there because I would not be emotionally prepared to talk to them for one reason or another. My fragility has been made known to me especially this year, and I think back on the moments when I caused myself so much unnecessary heartache because of some irrational conflict I had with the situation. I have definitely grown alot in other areas, though, as I see myself becoming more aware of my need for regular communion with my perfect and compassionate Savior, Jesus. My ever present struggle with anxiety has magnified this year, partially because I have created a domino effect, like the more I avoid situations because of my anxiety, the more anxiety I have about even thinking about avoiding new situations. Anyway, taking all of this into consideration of the summary of 2017, I can say that it has been a moderately stressful year. I suppose this could be considered an accomplishment, as I have managed to minimize my negative reaction to things through sharing those struggles with certain trusted friends. I also must say I am extremely grateful for the welcoming hearts I have received from the new Life Group I started attending this year after graduating and having a more open schedule...

In order to create some sort of organization for the review of 2017, I think the best way to do this is to organize by month, and just include bullet points of the main things that happened or things I was affected by.

January
-RBC Spiritual Enrichment chapels
-Visit a Greek Orthodox church for History of Christianity at RBC
-Logan Cole (RBC students' friend) shot at West Liberty high school
-RBC new Student Center move in day
-RBC All-night volleyball
-Roomie from first year came to celebrate my birthday
-Schuster Center R&B/Motown concert with bro for my birthday

February
-Haircut (16 in. off)
-New glasses/prescription

March
-Missions Conference at RBC
-Open House for new Student Center
-One Night worship at Gloria Theatre in Urbana
-RBC chorale retreat weekend

April
-RBC chorale tour (Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma, Illinois, Indiana)
-IFI banquet at OSU
-RBC All-night volleyball

May
-RBC Talent Show
-I graduate from RBC

June
-Beethoven concert with mom/dad at church in Dayton

July
-CMC annual conference in Holmes County (Kidron)

August
-Gungor concert The Avenue in Gingamsbug with dad

September
-Meet up with Danielle B in Columbus
-FBC annual fall picnic
-New life group (Beamans)
-Sister gets married
-Dvorak concert at Schuster Center with mom/dad

October
-Ed Sheeran concert with a few co-workers
-SYTYCD tour in Indiana with mom
-Mendelssohn concert at Schuster Center with mom/dad

November
-Trip to Minnesota to see RBC friend
-RBC All-night volleyball

December
-RBC Christmas concert with mom
-Life Group Christmas party

These are just a sampling of the things I accomplished and participated in. I would say that most of my time this year was either taken up by finishing Bible College or working steady 40 hrs/week at McDonalds. I must say that I am so looking forward to next year, but at the same time I am dreading it because there are so many things that have been left unsettled. I could make a whole blog post about these things but for now I will just leave it at that. The things I am most looking forward to this next year is really taking charge of my life with practical steps to accomplish my goals, and not looking too much ahead to the bigger picture. What are you all looking forward to this next year? What are your goals/resolutions? Leave me a comment on here, or on facebook.

Goodbye 2017, hello 2018!!!

Much love,
Becca






No comments:

Post a Comment